Calif.: 2 suspects and 3 victims killed following San Diego mosque shooting

OAN Staff Lillian Mann
4:01 PM – Monday, May 18, 2026
During a press conference Monday afternoon, Chief Scott Wahl of the San Diego Police Department (SDPD) announced that five individuals have been killed, including two male assailants, in connection with the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego (ICSD).
The two suspects, believed to be “17 and 19-years-old,” were later found in a vehicle a few blocks away and appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to Wahl.
Wahl explained that three adult ICSD staff members were killed in the shooting.
Among the victims was a security guard who, according to Wahl, played a pivotal role in preventing further escalation. The chief of police confirmed that the threat at the ICSD has been neutralized and that all remaining staff and children present during the incident are safe.
Wahl reported that Police received an active shooter call at 11:43 a.m., with officers arriving on the scene within just four minutes. Upon arrival, authorities discovered three adult males outside the mosque who appeared to be deceased, prompting the chief to deploy between 50 and 100 officers inside the center.
Amidst the initial response, police received additional reports of gunfire a few blocks away from the ICSD, where a landscaper had been shot at but fortunately remained uninjured. Concluding the update, the chief of police highly commended the rapid response time of both the San Diego authorities and the first responders.
“In 28 years, this is the most dynamic and impressive response I have ever seen in policing,” Wahl said. “Police officers stopped what they were doing and responded. I could not be more proud and could not express the gratitude, willingness to step into harm’s way in a moment like this.”
Due to the Islamic center location in which the shooting occurred, Wahl noted that authorities are considering the incident to be a hate crime, “until proven otherwise.”
“There’s going to be a tremendous amount of information and details that we’re going to try to sort and put this puzzle back together again,” Wahl said and later confirmed that another press conference will take place at 4 p.m. local time.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria also spoke at the press conference, offering his prayers to the Muslim community and the families of the victims affected by the tragedy. Gloria expressed his deep appreciation for the rapid response time and decisive action of the authorities.
“We will do everything we necessary to investigate,” Gloria said.
Taha Hassane, the imam and director of the Islamic Center of San Diego, added during the press conference that it is “outrageous to target a place of worship.”
“I know it’s time of sorrow, time of sadness. We have never experienced a tragedy like this before. And at this moment, all what I can say is sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,” Hassane told reporters.
Mosques and other places of worship “should always be protected,” he asserted.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
Sponsored Content Below
Advertising by Adpathway




